Starting Jan. 22, APPA to offer series of nine webinars for governing boards
Originally published January 16, 2013
APPA is offering a series of monthly webinars designed to educate elected and appointed public power board and city council members on the responsibilities and processes of electric utility governance and policy setting. The first session, "Assessing the Future of Public Power’s Business Model," is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 22.
Public power’s continued success as a competitive provider of electricity and other valued services depends on the sustainability of its business model. The webinar describes the components of the public power business model; coming changes or risks that may impact these components; and actions policy makers and executives must consider to make sure public power continues to deliver valued services to its customer/owners. This webinar will be led by APPA Senior Vice President Jeff Tarbert.
The series also includes the following webinars:
• How Public Power Is Governed: The Structures and Authorities of Utility Boards – Feb. 19
• Duties, Responsibilities and Legal Obligations of Public Power Governing Boards – March 28
• Federal Legislative and Regulatory Issues for Boards – April 15
• Strategic Issues Facing Public Power Governing Bodies – April 23
• Overview of Utility Financial Operations for Board and Council Members – May 14
• Rate Making for Utility Boards and City Councils – June 11
• Strategic Planning for Utility Boards and City Councils – July 16
• Performance Monitoring and Accountability for Boards – Sept. 17
These webinars are designed for newly elected or appointed utility policy makers who want an introduction to their responsibilities, although experienced policy officials or utility staff who regularly work with utility governing bodies may also benefit from these sessions.
All webinars will take place from 2 to 3:30 p.m., Eastern time. They can be taken individually or as a series, for a discounted rate. For more information and to register, visit www.APPAAcademy.org under Webinar Series.
For more information on these and other resources for governing boards, contact Heidi Lambert at 202/467-2921 or HLambert@PublicPower.org.
Please Sign in to rate this.
Senior Vice President, Publishing
Jeanne Wickline LaBella
Editor, Public Power Daily
Manager, Integrated Media
David L. Blaylock
- Solar deal places nonprofit under state law, N.C. appeals court says
- Hurricane Maria hits already reeling Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico
- House subcommittee schedules additional power industry hearings
- FERC says N.Y. agency relinquished right to act on certification tied to pipeline
- Sponsored Advertising FeatureWorkforce automation helps utilities avoid operational headaches
- Utility crews are on the move as Category 5 Hurricane Irma approaches US
- After Irma, 6 million lack power in Florida — and the trucks are on their way
- Houston struggles with floods, outages, as the rain keeps falling
- As Irma restoration proceeds, more mutual aid requests arrive
- Power crews make headway after Irma, but more work is ahead