Starting Jan. 22, APPA to offer series of nine webinars for governing boards
Originally published January 16, 2013
APPA is offering a series of monthly webinars designed to educate elected and appointed public power board and city council members on the responsibilities and processes of electric utility governance and policy setting. The first session, "Assessing the Future of Public Power’s Business Model," is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 22.
Public power’s continued success as a competitive provider of electricity and other valued services depends on the sustainability of its business model. The webinar describes the components of the public power business model; coming changes or risks that may impact these components; and actions policy makers and executives must consider to make sure public power continues to deliver valued services to its customer/owners. This webinar will be led by APPA Senior Vice President Jeff Tarbert.
The series also includes the following webinars:
• How Public Power Is Governed: The Structures and Authorities of Utility Boards – Feb. 19
• Duties, Responsibilities and Legal Obligations of Public Power Governing Boards – March 28
• Federal Legislative and Regulatory Issues for Boards – April 15
• Strategic Issues Facing Public Power Governing Bodies – April 23
• Overview of Utility Financial Operations for Board and Council Members – May 14
• Rate Making for Utility Boards and City Councils – June 11
• Strategic Planning for Utility Boards and City Councils – July 16
• Performance Monitoring and Accountability for Boards – Sept. 17
These webinars are designed for newly elected or appointed utility policy makers who want an introduction to their responsibilities, although experienced policy officials or utility staff who regularly work with utility governing bodies may also benefit from these sessions.
All webinars will take place from 2 to 3:30 p.m., Eastern time. They can be taken individually or as a series, for a discounted rate. For more information and to register, visit www.APPAAcademy.org under Webinar Series.
For more information on these and other resources for governing boards, contact Heidi Lambert at 202/467-2921 or HLambert@PublicPower.org.
Please Sign in to rate this.
Senior Vice President, Publishing
Jeanne Wickline LaBella
Editor, Public Power Daily
Manager, Integrated Media
David L. Blaylock
- House passes pipeline review, electric transmission bills
- Report catalogues state net metering, DG actions in the second quarter
- Lawmakers hear about capacity market flaws, rising grid costs
- Hamilton Utilities’ urban forestry program boosts safety, reliability
- Kansas City BPU exceeds 45 percent renewable energy threshold
- Officials urge public power utilities to be prepared for cyberattacks
- Public power utilities recognized for high customer satisfaction
- SMUD board approves new Time-of-Day standard residential rates
- Report sees more than seven million plug-in EVs in U.S. by 2025
- Cyber Hygiene: Preventive Care to Avoid Electric System Decay