President meets with utility executives to discuss storm preparedness
Originally published May 10, 2013
|APPA Senior Vice President Joe Nipper (third from left) was among utility representatives who met May 8 with President Obama to discuss storm response and restoration after Superstorm Sandy. Photo courtesy of the U.S. Department of Energy
President Barack Obama met with utility industry executives May 8 to discuss the industry's response to Hurricane Sandy last year and preparations for the coming hurricane season. Representing APPA at the meeting were Senior Vice President-Government Relations Joe Nipper and Vice President-Government Relations Joy Ditto. Also attending the meeting were New York Power Authority Gil Quiniones; Norwich, Conn., Public Utilities General Manager John Bilda; and Rockville Centre, N.Y., Superintendent of Electric Utilities Paul Pallas.
"The president thanked the utility executives for their efforts during the response to Hurricane Sandy and noted the strong working relationship demonstrated between industry and the federal government as companies worked to restore power to millions of customers in Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states, including the resources and personnel shared to assist these efforts by a number of companies who were outside of the affected region," the White House said.
Please Sign in to rate this.
Senior Vice President, Publishing
Jeanne Wickline LaBella
Editor, Public Power Daily
Fallon W. Forbush
Manager, Integrated Media
David L. Blaylock
Integrated Media Editor
- Solar deal places nonprofit under state law, N.C. appeals court says
- Hurricane Maria hits already reeling Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico
- House subcommittee schedules additional power industry hearings
- FERC says N.Y. agency relinquished right to act on certification tied to pipeline
- Sponsored Advertising FeatureWorkforce automation helps utilities avoid operational headaches
- Florida public power utilities close in on completing power restoration
- NREL says installed cost of solar power hit record lows in Q1
- Small Iowa city launches municipalization study
- Public power to participate in DOE-funded grid resilience, cybersecurity projects
- Boulder says PUC ruling gives city a 'path forward' for municipalization